03 October 2007

thoughts from a boat ride

cartwheels : reindeer section
click here or on the image below to listen

How much can you write in half an hour? Half an hour is my ferry ride to work. The amount of time it takes for me to decide where I'm having lunch and actually getting there. Three, maybe five, percent of my waking hours that slips past cognizance as I trawl the internet. (Is that all?) Three hundred and sixty seconds of gainful knowledge as I read the editorial page. Six songs and many years of adolescent memories from my eighties playlist. A tall soya no whip mocha for flatfoot. How do you occupy your mind in a half-hour commute? Sometimes I get to wondering about thought process itself. What do I normally think about when I have nothing to think about? I never knew, or maybe I did, but have forgotten. Thoughts are funnily tentative, like dreams, which are thoughts you never knew you had. Sometimes I steal glances at other people. Do you look at other people too? Mentally pick on the man next to you for his coffee-stained two-buck necktie from Bangkok? Do you close your eyes and try to take a nap? Reminisce your childhood? Cartwheels are the stuff of childhood. I have never cartwheeled in my life. Or maybe I have, but never with any measure of success. I climbed walls and trees and jumped off them to scare my mom. I tumbled in the grass, on my parents' bed, on our living room couch, which wasn't much of a couch, as the make was firm and you hardly sank. I remember the giant shell on the side table. I would put it against my ear to listen to the sound of hollow. The sound of hollow. Empty has a sound. Empty takes aural space. Space is funnily fleeting, like time. My thirty minutes is over. My ferry is about to dock. Good day.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to have a posting ...

    Thanks for Reindeer Section , Cartwheels is a new one for me ...

    I tire of driving ....

    I am so envious ..

    Wow half an hour ferry ride to work .. über meditative opportun ...

    g'Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous31.10.07

    I know the feeling...like when I'm sitting in traffic. I daydream and think about the past day/month/year and form an action plan to get doing what I'd really like to be doing. Then the light turns green and I snap back into reality and let out the clutch.
    Glad to see some new posts, I hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11.11.07

    ciao flatfoot*
    i am federica, writing from italy. where are you from? your music taste so sweet.i really want to thank you for all the listens you give me.
    i need a favour from you: can you tell me 3 scandinavian musician-artist really particular and not famous? something really for only who is knowledgeable about real music. as you are, i think. i need to win a contest with these 3 names,i want to go for free at the concert of jose gonzalez in milan and i need 3 names before tomorrow. i thought about thomas dybdahl for the best one,and so.. ane brune for the next, but i need somone other ... like stina nordenstam? can you tell me what you think about scandinavian best musicians? please. take my request really care,please. and next i will tell you all you want to know about i don't know, all the music i like (i can be a knowledgeable too! i hope so) :) hope to hear from you soon* even if i don't know who you are and i found your blog only in this morning of november and i didn't find a way to write you an email*
    hear you soon.
    my email is s.fede@tin.it
    *bye*
    federica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the layout and post on your blog. You should visit my blog sometime http://classicvideogamereviews.blogspot.com

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any words for appriacted this post here is given meaningful information.

    ReplyDelete