02 February 2006

'tis the month of luuurve

Someone said in a comment here many months ago that most of the songs I post are full of depression and anger and I don't necessarily disagree. So for this month (um...maybe until the 14th) the theme of this blog is love: music for moments when your heart skips a beat. Starting with:

thinking of you : paul weller
click on the teddy to listen

It's a bit surprising to me that the prolific former singer and songwriter for punk-rock legends The Jam would turn to a Sister Sledge song for a pop ballad he could easily have penned himself. It's a good complement to You're the Best Thing which was a big hit for Weller's 80s band, The Style Council. Like any Top 40 cheeseball, this song is laden with clichés and cookie-cutter platitudes and promises – the part about his love being "fully equipped with a lifetime guarantee" always makes me laugh. But I like it. It actually makes for a good wedding song, which is sort of why I rediscovered it – a friend who got married last month asked me for song suggestions to play at his wedding. Enjoy the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment