13 July 2005

ya me voy

click on the title to listen. 2m 16s
same same. 3m 24s

after agonizing here whether i should be holidaying in russia, iran or morocco, i have finally made up my mind. i'm going to mexico, and i'm going to give my best shot at climbing the third and sixth highest mountains in north america: pico de orizaba and iztaccihuatl.

i easily ruled out morocco's atlas mountains due to lack of available flights. iran's damavand intrigued me but the visa application process takes a while. i was tempted by russia's mt elbrus but i just couldn't mentally picture myself doing it. now is not the climbing season in mexico, but i thought what the heck, i'm going there not just for the trekking. sure, the time i'll be spending in guanajuato, oaxaca and palenque will be very limited, but i'm scratching a longstanding itch here. i've been enamored with mexico since i was young, thanks in large part to my father who exposed us to latin music early on. but i've managed to bypass it in my travel decisions. this is my first time to go there, and i'm giddy with excitement.

but i'm also scared as hell. i signed up for the seven-day, two-summit climb without having trained, and i've just recuperated from a weeklong bout with the flu. i am so not in peak form, but we'll see. i hope i'm not overestimating myself. wish me well.

anyway. here's my favorite band from mexico. cafe tacuba are so talented they blast genres like no other, a one-band proof that the label latin music means nothing other than the language or geographic origins of the artists. these two songs above perfectly demonstrate the band's versatility. eo and esa noche can't be more different. i saw these guys live at the fillmore in san francisco in september 2003. their energy is just explosive, and mexican audiences are pretty damn wild. the floor was soaked with beer, and everyone was dancing with abandon, ramming everyone else like they never existed. i haven't had that much fun at a concert since.

No comments:

Post a Comment