04 October 2005

i give in. i surrender.

que vida la mia : reik
click on the image below to listen.
haz click en la imagen para escuchar.

This song by the Mexican boyband Reik (see how pretty they are?) is the longest-lasting earworm I've ever suffered, hands down. I'm posting it as an act of self-exorcism. I first heard it on the night I arrived in Mexico for my holiday last July. It followed me everywhere -- from Guanajuato to Puebla to Oaxaca to Mexico City, on the video channels, on the radio, in the shops selling pirated CDs. To its credit, Que Vida La Mia, which loosely translates to This Life of Mine or What Life I Have, has a very addictive beat, and I love the way it starts off as an acoustic number, then briefly adds punches of electric guitar in the verse after the chorus, and winds back down towards the end. Pure pop bliss. But it's not just that. I'm a learner of Spanish, and the fact that I can understand most of what the song says makes it more -- I hate to use this term -- endearing to me. Like most boyband themes, it's about infatuation, and how this guy wants to get better acquainted with the girl he fancies. "I just want to be your friend," he says in one line, and in another, "I'm dying to kiss your lips." Gee, I've never kissed any of my friends' lips. Any volunteers?

En español: Discúlpame si mi español es malo, sólo estoy practicando! Esta canción, por el grupo mexicano Reik es, sin duda, el earworm que he sufrido por más largo tiempo. Lo estoy poniendo aquí en un acto de autoexorcismo. Primero lo oí la noche que llegué a México, para mis vacaciones, el julio pasado. Me siguió a todas partes -- de Guanajuato a Puebla a Oaxaca a D.F., en los canales musicales, en la radio, en las tiendas que venden CD piratas. A su favor, Que Vida La Mia tiene un ritmo muy adictivo, y me encanta la manera en que comienza acústicamente, y luego agrega unos golpes de guitarra eléctrica, y otra vez se relaja al final. Pero no es sólo eso. Soy un estudiante de español, y el hecho de que yo pudiera entender casi toda la letra, hace la canción más agradable para mí. Es sobre un enamoramiento juvenil, y cómo este joven desea conocer más a esta chica. "Yo sólo quiero ser tu amigo," dice en una línea, y en otra, "Y me muero por probar tus labios." Yo nunca he besado los labios de ninguna de mis amigas. Alguna voluntaria?

(Gracias a Loscar y Mazgringo por sus correcciónes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment